Brass is a popular material for CNC lathe and CNC milling parts manufacturing, especially the 360 brass, which is called free machining brass. What is 360 brass and what is it used for? Here CNClathing.com will start from its composition, introduce the brass 360 properties and difference between 260 and 360 brass.
360 Brass, also known as Alloy 360 or C36000, is a soft, ductile metal and standard alloy mainly consists of copper and zinc, added a small amount of lead and other elements. What is 360 brass made of? The chemical composition of brass 360 is: 61.5% copper, 35.5% zinc, 3% lead, up to 0.35% iron.
The content of specific metal elements will give the material unique characteristics and mechanical properties. For example, the 3% lead gives 360 brass the highest level of machinability of all copper alloys, make it easy to process in CNC brass machining.
– Free machining and cutting (minimal tool wear)
– Tensile Strength of 360 brass: 58,000 PSI
– Yield Strength of 360 brass: 45,000 PSI
– Elongation of 360 brass: 25%
– Rockwell Hardness of 360 brass: B78
– High strength and resistance to corrosion
– Suitable for polished surface finish
– Good hot forming properties
– Not ideal for cold forming, welding, soldering, and brazing.
– Can be forged and annealed
– High return value of scrap
Based on the performance and properties of brass 360, it can be used in the following applications.
– General screw machine
– Plumbing products, fittings, adapters, valve stems, and miscellaneous screw machine parts.
– Gears, lock components, pipe fittings, and ornamental applications.
– Industrial and electronic industries
– Hex bolts, nuts, and studs
– Couplings, bushings, connectors, fittings, valve components, pump shafts, brackets, etc.
– Electronic hardware and contacts
– Musical instruments
1.Chemical composition. Brass 260 is composed of 68.5 – 71.5% copper, 28.5 – 31.5% zinc, 0.07% max lead, 0.05% max iron, the content of copper is higher than 360 copper, and the content of zinc and lead are lower than 360.
3. The 260 brass is not very easy to machine, while 360 brass has excellent machinability
4.260 brass offers great formability and workability, alloy 360 is not suitable for forming operations.
5.360 brass is referred to as leaded brass, 260 is known as cartridge brass.
6.260 brass is commonly used for ammunition components, builder’s hardware and plumbing goods, and 360 brass is mostly used to manufacture screw machine parts.