When you open a door or a fence, it’s easy to a door latch mounted for closing. Latches can keep doors closed with a simple structure. With so many different types of latches available, and where are latches used, we are going to explain the latch definition and introduce its application and types, as well as how to select an ideal door latch.
A latch is a type of mechanical device or fastener that usually engaged with another hardware on the other mounting surface and used to join two or more objects while allowing their separation in a certain way, latches often used on a door to keep it closed, but they are not the same as the locking mechanism of a door or a window. Latches may be keyed but are not necessarily.
Latches are commonly used in various industries to secure door, toolbox, cabinet and where requires security protection.
– Architecture: doors, windows
– Automobile: special-purpose latches as components of the doors, hood/bonnet, trunk/boot door, seat belts, seatbelts, etc.
– Military/Weaponry: firearms, knives with folding or retractable blades
– A hook latch can be used as a security feature for lifting hooks to prevent wire rope slings
– Swimming pool gates, freezers, truck boxes, etc
Based on the actuation methods and holding styles, latches can be divided into lots of types.
– Deadbolt latch: a single-throw bolt with a lock bolt that extends into the door jam, can be engaged in its strike plate only after the door is closed, typically prevents the bolt from being retracted by force.
– Draw latches: also called pull-down latches or toggle latches, consists of pivoting levers and drawbars, the clasp merges the two parts together when you close the latch. Its principle is pushing the lever arm down pulls the drawbar against the catch, then drawing it in and closing the door.
– Slam latch: uses a spring, it’s actuated by shutting or slamming of a door, and slam doors and drawers shut without damaging the latch. It automatically lock doors and requires manual motions to open. A slam latch is rugged and ideal for industrial, agricultural and construction applications.
– Cam latch: also can be referred to as cam lock or twist latch, consists of a base and a cam lever, and actuated through turning, the cam handle relies on a cam rotating within its base to squeeze a cabinet door closure shut. It is commonly found on garage cabinets, file cabinets, tool chests, and other places where privacy is important.
– Sliding latch: consists of sliding or rotating pin and separate catches, a swing bolt latch is pinned at the base and rotates to engage the catch, each latching and unlatching need manual motion.
There are also Norfolk latch, Suffolk latch, Crossbar, Cabin hook, and Pawl.
When you need to buy a latch for a specific application, there are several factors that should be considered.
– If you need to install a door latch for the security of an office cabinet or a small piece of hardware, a cam latch is an ideal choice.
– If your compartment is small and hidden, a push-button latch or pull latch will meet the requirements.
– If your trailer door is a little shaky or rusty and you just use some item to make it sturdy, a slide bolt latch may be what you need.
– The mounting style of latch you required. If you want to install a concealed latch, you should choose a cam lock or slam latch. There are also blind, flush or surface mounted latches.
– Based on the actuation mechanism or how the latch closes, you can choose finger pulls, handles, keys, knobs, levers, pull rings, pushbuttons, triggers and slide bolts.
– The components and specification of a latch. You can take a look at the image of the latch before you purchasing it, consider what functions you need. For example, if the gate latch contains gaskets to prevent the entry of environmental contaminants when used under pressure. In addition, does the latch matches your door or application, if the door latch is made in standard dimension, measure the location you are going to install a latch and check if the standard latch is suitable for that, if you want to order custom latches, send the detailed sizes and needs to the manufacturer or supplier.
Junying is a professional lock parts machining company that also involves in standard door lock production, welcome to check our lock shop that offering lock cylinder, IC core, door stopper, and home security door lock for sale, more lock products will be available with cheap prices.