Cam lock comes in a number of configurations which impact on the security and installation. This article covering cam lock types and the application of different class, listing standard specification of the cam and common mounting hole sizes.
Cam locks are a type of lock featuring a cylindrical locking mechanism and commonly mounted on drawers in home, school, office, and hospitals to offer security protection for personal items and documents. What types of cam locks are used and where do they use? Find out the most fitting one for your cam lock applications.
– Tubular Style Cam Locks: the tubular cam locks equipped with round keys, which drives the rotation when the key insert into the hole and match the internal pin, this type of cam locks provides higher security than a flat disc one, suitable for applications including furniture, electronics enclosures, HVAC, Vending POS, etc.
– Flat Disc Tumbler Cam Locks: affordable options, the security level is medium. The principle of unlocking is to align the inserted key with the disc. Applicable for a mix of places like terminal equipment, metal/wooden cabinet, payphone, ATM, vending machine, postal box, mailbox, AD showcase, coin-op, vehicle, etc.
– Combination Cam Locks: widely used in the modern family, no keys are required, you can set the password you want, the combination can be easily changed and there are thousands of possibilities, a great solution for a variety of applications such as lockers, mailboxes, to replace RV compartment door locks, drawers, and cabinet doors, anywhere sharing and managing keys amongst several people is a hassle.
– Electronic Cam Locks: a locking device operated by means of electric current, does not need any outside wiring, all power is supplied by the key, designed for both interior and exterior use, allows access through an RFID card or digital password, usually provide higher security, some electronic locks can be remotely monitored and controlled, and used as business tools.
– European Style Cam Locks: round keys with angled cuts make it hard to pry the lock open, European style cam lock with a metal collar ring can prevent attacks on your lock via prying or wrenching, also stand up to harsh weather. The high security keyway is unique and difficult to duplicate, can be applied for furniture, electronics enclosures, industrial equipment, medical cabinets, recreation vehicles, transportation, and replacement for any current cam lock construction.
– High Security Pagoda Cam Locks: provides top security, pick proof, the lock barrel installed with 2 hardened steel anti-drill pint to prevent drill attempt, perfect for cabinets, toolboxes, mailboxes, and more applications in retail, healthcare or educational industries.
– Padlockable Cam Locks: with an interface in front and can be secured by any padlock. Padlockable cam lock is easy to use and install, but come in an innovative security solution for gym lockers, cabinets, drawers, doors, equipment, and school applications.
A complete cam lock set may consist of a stationary cylinder portion, standard sized cam, cam screw, keys, cylinder nut, stop cam and other parts. Cam lock parts of customized specifications can be machined at Junying – a professional lock cylinder manufacturer provides the utmost security and excellent quality.
0: No Cam
SU: Straight Cam Upward position
SD: Straight Cam Downward position
OUF: Offset Cam Up-Forward position
OUB: Offset Cam Up-Backward position
ODF: Offset Cam Down-Forward position
ODB: Offset Cam Down-Backward position
HUL: Hook Cam Upward position Left
HDL: Hook Cam Downward position Left
HUR: Hook Cam Upward position Right
HDR: Hook Cam Downward position Right
LU: L Cam Upward position
LD: L Cam Downward position
IV: Short Cam
All cam types come in their own standard lengths.
Cam Length A: No Length, 3/4″ (19mm), 7/8″ (22mm), 1″ (25.4mm), 1-1/8″ (28.57mm), 1-1/4″ (31.75mm), 1-3/8″ (34.92mm), 1-1/2″ (38.1mm), 1-3/4″ (44.45mm), 2″ (50.8mm), 2-1/2″ (63.5mm), 3″ (76.2mm)
Cam Length B: No Length, 3/4″ (19mm), 7/8″ (22mm), 1″ (25.4mm), 1-1/8″ (28.57mm), 1-1/4″ (31.75mm), 1-3/8″ (34.92mm), 1-1/2″ (38.1mm), 1-3/4″ (44.45mm), 2″ (50.8mm), 2-1/2″ (63.5mm), 3″ (76.2mm)
– The most mounting hole dimension for ESP, Fort, and LSDA style cam locks is approx. 0.343 -> 0.348 (~11/32) inches.
– CCL Security cam with square cut out: approx .315->.320 inches. Some of CCL imported series cam locks may use a different size.
– Compx National, standard flat key cam locks with a square cut out: approx 0.280 or 9/32″.