How to choose door locks? The variety of locks on the market makes the selection become difficult, some consumers will choose smart locks for their door, while some people still prefer conventional deadbolts. Learn about the types of door locks and what should you know before purchasing, here are a few tips featured in the door lock buying guide.
1. Determine the style, size and opening direction of your customized door
– The door can be divided into single open, double open, left hand open and right hand open door, which influences the opening direction of the door lock.
– Before purchasing all locks for your door, measure the door thickness and frame width in order that the seller can configure the length of the lock cylinder and width of the lock body correctly.
– In addition, knowing about the door types and decoration style of the house interior is important. Door hardware and locks should be in harmony with the design of the door, to keep the design integrity.
2. Learn about the types of door lock
Different people like different types of door locks, here are some common options: cam locks, knob locks, deadbolt locks, padlocks, mortise locks, SFIC locks, smart locks, etc.
– Cam locks: the majority of a cam lock is invisible in fully constructed cabinets, do not affect the overall appearance, cam locks can be used to secure cabinet doors completely and safely, which makes them great options for office drawers or cabinets keeping important files. Most used applications: cabinets, drawers, mailboxes, etc.
– Knob locks: common type for interior door lock, the lock cylinder of knob lock is in the knob instead of the door, so it is not suitable for the entrance door.
– Deadbolt locks: has a bolt that must be activated by a key, unlike spring bolt lock, the unique locking mechanism can resist physical strike, offering the best protection against burglary.
– Padlocks: portable lock, easy to catch and recognize, not requiring installation. Padlock comes in various types, like keyed and combination, varying in design, size, color, security grade, etc.
– Mortise locks: requires a pocket—the mortise—to be cut into the edge of the door or piece of furniture into which the lock is to be fitted, usually used on external doors.
– SFIC locks: Small Format Interchangeable Cores, with an adaptable locking key cylinder, for applications where re-keying is required, such as chain store, office, government building and more.
– Smart locks: modern smart locks offer remote control, voice control, and lots of powerful functions, can be unlocked with fingerprints and keys, which added the convenience, but more obviously more expensive than conventional locks.
1. From the lock material
The locks can be made from copper, stainless steel, zinc alloy, aluminum, iron, etc. Copper locks are often the most popular lock choice, 304 stainless steel is also a good material, when you choose the aluminum lock, pay attention to the aluminum grade, it is not recommended to buy iron lock because it will rust when the surface plating layer is fall off. CNClathing.com has more than 15 years of experience on lock cylinder manufacturing with our CNC machining services, our copper lock parts and steel lock accessories sell at affordable prices and superior quality.
2. From the door size
Generally, the knob lock is not recommended to be installed on the door less than 90mm. If the width of the frame around the door is more than 90mm and less than 100mm, the ordinary knob lock with 60mm lock tongue should be selected; if the width is more than 100mm, the lock with a large lock tongue (70mm) can be selected.
3. From the lock function
1) Anti-theft should be the basic function of the lock to be installed in the entrance door, master bedroom and study, to ensure the safety of life and property. So the smart lock is a secure option that provides more convenience.
2) To avoid hidden danger to life in emergencies, fireproof locks need be selected, otherwise, the lock body deforms under high temperature, which will lead to failure to open and delay the escape time.
3) The cross infection frequency of bacteria among family members is the highest, and the door lock is one of the most important transmission ways. Therefore, the antibacterial property of lock material is extremely important. So, in the kitchen and toilet, where is easy to remain bacteria, use high-grade stainless steel door lock with bacteriostatic efficacy.
More tricks for choosing and using the door locks:
– Believe in brands, but not excessively pursuit big brands. Choose the door lock produced by the manufacturer with quality assurance.
– It’s better not to buy new products. Select the model that has been on the market for a long time, but the dealers are still keen on recommending it.
– Do not covet as many functions as possible
– Professional installation is necessary
– Choose door lock with the same opening direction as your door.
– Do not drop ordinary lubricating oil or engine oil into the lock core. If the key doesn’t work, install some pencil lead pins or drop professional lubricating oil into the key eye. Special reminder: when users encounter the situation that they can’t open the lock in their daily life, they’d better use pencil powder, and then insert the key and turn it a few times to restore smoothness. But you only have oil, better to choose volatile oil, with no residue.
– Do not wipe the lock body and handle with a wet cloth, the metal lock will rust; the alloy lock will wear off the coating and lose the effect.
– Rotate the lock tongue into the lock body, and release the hand after closing the door, otherwise, the service life of the lock will be reduced.