In terms of shape, surface finish, and properties of aluminum alloy products, aluminum extrusion has greater advantages and reliability than other manufacturing methods. What are the steps during the aluminum extrusion process and why do we use the extrusion process for aluminum manufacturing.
How does the aluminum extrusion process work? Check out the steps in the process.
1. Lay the aluminum rod
Lay the prepared aluminum rods on the material rack, and reserve a certain gap between the aluminum rods. Be careful not to stack the aluminum rods, otherwise, it will increase the working difficulty of the extruder.
2. Heat aluminum rod
Control the temperature for the heat treatment of the aluminum rod. It should be heated at room temperature. When the heating time reaches 3.5 hours, the temperature will reach 480 ℃. If the temperature is too high or too low, it will directly affect the hardness of finished products. Therefore, the temperature must be strictly controlled during heating and cooling.
3. Heat the mold
The heating temperature of the die is the same as that of the aluminum rod, which is heated to 480 ℃ and then insulated.
4. Prepare the mold
After the mold and aluminum rod is heated and insulated, you can put the mold into the extruder seat for extrusion.
5. Send the aluminum rod to the material inlet
Put the cut aluminum bar into the raw material inlet of the extruder for extrusion.
6. Extrude the aluminum profile
The extruded aluminum profile will come out of the discharge port and be pulled by a tractor, and then the length dimension is determined for cutting.
7. Straighten aluminum profile
After cutting the length, the aluminum profile can be sent to the alignment table for straightening, and the straightened aluminum profile can be transported to the finished product area for fixed-length cutting.
8. Aging treatment
Put the cut aluminum extrusions into the material frame according to the requirements, transport it to the aging area, enter the aging furnace for aging treatment, heat preservation for 2h after the aging temperature reaches 200 ℃, and then wait for discharging.
9. Natural cooling
After aging, the furnace can be discharged. After entering the cooling stage, it can be cooled naturally or with a cold fan. At this time, the extrusion work is completed, and the extrusion of aluminum profiles with qualified appearance, shape, and size is completed.
1) In the aluminum extrusion process, the extruded metal can obtain a more intense and uniform three-dimensional compressive stress state in the deformation zone than rolling and forging, which can give full play to the plasticity of the processed metal itself. Therefore, the extrusion method can be used to process those low plastic and difficult deformation metals or alloys that are difficult or even impossible to be processed by rolling or forging. At present, extrusion is still the most superior method to produce products directly from ingots.
2) Aluminum extrusion can not only produce pipe, bar, profile, and line products with simple section shape but also produce s materials and pipes with variable section and extremely complex shape, such as stage variable section profile, gradually variable section profile, integral wall panel profile with special-shaped stiffener, extremely complex hollow profile, variable section pipe, porous pipe, etc.
3) Aluminum extrusion process is very flexible. Products with different shapes, specifications, and varieties can be produced on one piece of equipment only by replacing extrusion tools such as molds. The replacement of extrusion tools is simple and easy to operate, time-consuming, and high efficiency. This processing method is most economical and applicable to aluminum alloy material processing plants with small order batches and many varieties and specifications.
4) The taper of extruded products is higher than that of hot rolled and forged products, and the surface quality of products is also better. With the improvement of process level and die quality, we can produce ultra-thin, ultra-high precision and high-quality profiles. This not only greatly reduces the total workload and simplifies subsequent processes, but also improves the comprehensive utilization rate and yield of extruded materials.
5) For some aluminum alloys with extrusion effect, the longitudinal strength of extruded products after quenching and aging is much higher than that of similar products processed by other methods. This is of practical value for excavating the strength of aluminum alloy materials and meeting special application requirements.
6) The process is short and the production is convenient. The overall structural parts with a larger area than those by hot die forging or forming rolling can be obtained by one extrusion, and the equipment investment is less, the die cost is low and the economic benefit is high.
7) Aluminum alloy has good extrusion characteristics and can be processed through a variety of extrusion processes and a variety of die structures. In recent years, the production of complex hollow aluminum products by welding and extrusion has been widely used and popularized.