In this article, we’ll learn about the plain milling machine diagram and the working principle of mills. As a primary machining process, CNC milling can create various features. From the introduction to each part of the milling machine, get to know how it’s working and what it is composed of.
Plain milling, also known as slab milling or surface milling, the process of milling flat surface with the axis of cutting tool parallel to the surface being machined. The rotating milling cutter does not give a continuous cut but moves from one end of the workpiece to another end.
The construction is the basis of learning about using a CNC milling machine. Plain milling is a common type of milling operation. Here we bring the plain milling machine diagram with the machine parts and functions, to help beginners get into the working of milling machine.
1. Base: acts as the foundation of the whole machine, provides support and rigidity, sometimes used as a reservoir for the cutting fluids
2. Column: the main supporting frame mounted vertically on the base, contains all the driving mechanism for the spindle and table feed, as well as guide ways to slide the knee up and down.
3. Knee: a rigid casting mounted on the front face of the column, slide along the guideways up and down by elevating screw, which enables distance adjustment between the cutter and parts, used to support the saddle, table, workpiece, and clamping devices.
4. Saddle: the intermediate part between the knee and table, mounted on the guideway of the knee to support and carry the table, moves transversely.
5. Table: located on guideways in the saddle, with t-slots and accurately finished top surface to hold and clamp the workpiece. It can move in three directions: vertical (up and down), cross (in or out), longitudinal (back and forth).
6. Overarm: mounted on the top of the column, acts as the support for the arbor.
7. Arbor: can be fitted at any location of the overarm, the extension of the machine spindle, to hold and drive the milling cutters.
8. Spindle: located in the upper part of the column, mounted with the milling cutter.
9. Elevating screw: used to move the knee and table up or down automatically or manually
There are many types of milling machines are used in production, like horizontal milling machine, universal milling machine, vertical milling machine, planer milling machine, simplex milling machines, and more choices for special purposes. Milling machines whose motion is computerized controlled are CNC milling machines. The working of the general milling machine adopted the subtractive manufacturing method of material removal. The workpiece or blank is fixed on the worktable of the milling machine, the moving table controls the workpiece feed against the multi teeth cutter, which is mounted on a spindle and revolving at high speed. When the cutting tool is rotating, with the movement of the milling part, the workpiece gradually approaches the cutter, then the material will be removed from the surface of the component to be machined until the desired shape is created.